Avocado Almond Pesto Pasta
Avocado and Almond Pesto Pasta
• ½ cup sliced bleached almonds*
• 3 tbsp. EVOO
• 1-2 garlic cloves
• 2 handfuls of basil (works with our without stems)
• Juice of ½ of 1 medium lemon
• 1 medium avocado
• 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
• salt and pepper to taste
• package of you favorite rice pasta, cooked according to package directions**
For the pesto
1. Drizzle your almonds with 2 tbsp EVOO, reserving the last tbsp. for a later step. Put up a pot of water while you prepare the pesto so that your water is ready for your pasta.
2. While the almonds are soaking. Pulverize the basil and garlic cloves with a food processor, or immersion blender. I guess you could go old school and use a mortal and pestle if you really wanted 😉
3. Add the almonds to the basil mixture, and pulse until completely ground and combined.
4. Add avocado, lemon juice, remaining EVOO, and blend until fully incorporated. Should be a nice smooth texture.
5. Add the nutritional yeast and the salt and pepper to taste. Pulse one or two more times to combine.
1. Strain your pasta, and rinse right away.
2. Put the strained pasta into a big mixing bowl and top with pesto. Top with some additional fresh basil and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for some extra “cheesiness.”
3. Divide the pasta up into bowls, and top each bowl with some add ins of your choice!
• Top with parmesan, if you don’t need to go dairy free
• Grilled chicken breasts, for a balanced meal
• Roasted Portobello mushrooms or broccoli (both pair really well with the flavors of this dish)
*Whole almonds can work in this recipe too, but you’ll want to have soaked them in some water overnight, or at least for a few hours prior to ensure they incorporate into the pesto nicely.
**You can absolutely use a regular pasta, or a spelt pasta, or really any pasta of your choice. Pesto is not picky